Salem, Ore-- Today at 11:00am, in commemoration of International Workers' Day, Immigrant and Labor Rights supporters will gather on the steps of the Oregon State Capitol in Salem. The goal is to send a message to elected leaders calling on them to:
Today's day of action includes a rally with speakers from the faith, immigrant rights, organized labor and business community, and the Oregon State Legislature. A unity march around Downtown Salem will follow. A full schedule can be found below.
MAY DAY UNITY RALLY & MARCH IN SALEM
Date: Today Friday, May 1, 2009
Oregon State Capitol
900 Court St. NE
Salem, Oregon 97309
Time: 11:00 a.m.
Sponsors: CAUSA, Pineros y Campesinos Unidos del Noroeste (PCUN), Service Employees International, Rural Organizing Project, Voz Hispana Causa Chavista, and others
• 11:30 a.m. Lorena Manzo, CAUSA Organizer
• 11:35 a.m. Opening Prayer by Reverend McDougle from First Congregational Church - UCC in Salem and Fr. Luis Alva from St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Bend.
• 11:45 a.m. Oracion del Campesino by Norma Sanchez, Organizer with LUS and JwJ
• 11:50 a.m. State Representative Dave Hunt, Speaker of the House
• 12:00 a.m. Linda Burgin, President, SEIU Local 503 and OPEUI
• 12:15 p.m. Jeff Stone from the Oregon Association of Nurseries
• 12: 25 p.m. Bill Perry from the Oregon Restaurant Association
• 12:35 p.m. Ramon Ramirez, PCUN President
• 1:00p.m Unity March
For more information please call 503.269.5694 or visit www.causaoregon.org/events